Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Things You See At Dragon Con

 I just got back from Dragon Con in Atlanta. For those who don't know, it's basically like Comic Con but on a smaller scale - *only* about 70,000 people. I'd been meaning to go for years and never made it - until now! And let me tell you, it was EPIC. Mass geekdom descending on a city, swarming the streets, swelling the sidewalks. YES.


Some of the things I saw that would be totally random or weird, if it hadn't happened at Dragon Con:


  • An R2D2/Dalek dance off
  • Cosplay of every imaginable geeky/awesome thing
  • Plus amazing cosplay mashups like Wolverine with bunny ears and carrot claws (for the Hugh Hefner bunny party, naturally), a cow patterned Deadpool, and a Princess Leia/Chewbacca Beauty and the Beast pair
  • A late night panel about what steampunk cocktails to serve on your airship
  • An Avengers Ball, and the Last Party on Alderaan, which is basically a giant rave with light sabers
  • A bar menu with Pangalactic Gargleblasters (blue, just like in the movie)
Plus I got to attend a lot of awesome writing panels, and meet Chuck Wendig and other awesome authors, and see my original urban fantasy influence, Laurell K. Hamilton, and watch a talk by the charming Felicia Day. Plus, hang for a bit with writer friend Matt MacNish (a con reunion, we hung out at WFC in 2011).


It was amazing. Can't wait for next year.


Have you been? What's your fave con?

6 comments:

  1. I'd heard Dragon Con was massive but I've never been.
    What cocktails should you serve on your airship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blast! That one's officially on the dream list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I've been looking at people's pictures from it all week. I would have loved to see Felicia. I met Laurell years ago at Archon (sci-fi/fantasy convention) in St. Louis. I listened to her read from one of her Merry books, and now every time I read her books, I hear her voice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! That sounds awesome! I haven't been, but I do hope to one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an awesome event to be part of. Glad you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG... you saw Laurell K. Hamilton!! I'd be squealing with excitment if I saw her.. hehe The con sounds amazing:)

    ReplyDelete

I love talking with friends new and old! What's on your mind?