Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Neurotic Behavior Coming to a Writer Near You

So, writer friends, I am back in the query saddle.

That sentence deserves to stand alone, doesn't it? Do you hear the dramatic music playing in the background? Like the Inception music. Deep and dangerous, and you just know something scary is going to happen.

I've sent out six queries in the last four days. I already got one rejection (gotta love those supersonic ones). At first when I send them, I feel this excited little ball of hope rise up inside me. What if this is the one? What if an agent writes me back and says, "I really like this. Send me more!"

I know it will happen one day. And I also know it's unreasonable to really want this first book to get published (I've written a lot of others, but this is the first finished one). But come on, let's get real. Of course I want to get an agent for this first book, and of course I want it to be published! I'm willing for that not to happen, but I'd really love it if it did.

So of course the crazy is settling into my brain. The waiting. The heart-lurching that occurs every time I see I have a new email. The dreams. Yep, even in my sleep I'm dreaming about agents. I dreamed one agent said he liked my book, and he said it was because my main gift was my "colorful" writing. In the dream this made total sense to me, but when I woke up, I was like "huh?" What the frig does that mean? It sounds the same as when someone says something is "interesting".

The whole thing's a total thrill ride. So if I seem weirder than usual, you'll know why! How about you? Whatcha up to? Anybody on the query roller coaster with me?

19 comments:

  1. It's exciting to be at the point of querying. Now may be a good time to distract yourself with some short-story writing or beginning the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe girl! I have my fingers crossed for you!! Hope you hear some awesome news soon! And will soon join you on your rollercoaster with the same expectations. Would be awesome, but realistically know there's a good chance it wont happen. But unlike you, I think you can do it with your first one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your queries. It's an exciting and scary time all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck!

    The best thing to do now is to start a new WIP. Send the queries out but allow your mind to be distracted by another exciting set of characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on the query roller coaster. Enjoy the ride. Don't give up and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I paused in my querying. (Not that I meant to, I just got lazy and distracted and dejected.) But I need to kick my own butt and get back into the saddle. I really hope you get a bite on yours. Good luck. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on that roller coaster too. Sent 4 queries out before going on vacation, and already have one rejection. Sigh. But I agree with Donna. Best thing to do is work on something new while you wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will join the query roller coaster soon. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can relate to the "heart-lurching", and I'll be back on the query trail with you this summer. For now, Write1Sub1 is keeping me busy writing and submitting a new short story every week. 8 rejections this week, 1 acceptance, and 1 short-listed -- so plenty of email-inducing heart lurches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG. First of all, well done for finishing. Secondly, I'm dreading the query stage. Even though I'll be happy I've finished my WIP, I don't know how I'll cope with the waiting and the rejection.

    But you can do it. Like Alex says, don't give up. Someone WILL love your book!

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh god, the waiting is the worst, isn't it? Any weirdness totally excused! In fact, I like a little weirdness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup. I'm there ... well, been there for a while now. BLECH. But, I just sent out ten new query letters Thursday. Two super-sonic rejections already. And, yes, I do love the fast responses, because that's less time I have to sit around waiting to hear back. The ones that are the hardest for me are the ones that never reply.

    Good luck - - and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh Good luck!!! It's exciting and frustrating and scary and wonderful all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, man, I've been there. I know that sick/excited/anxious feeling well! It's definitely a roller coaster (I liked to call it Query Hell myself). You'll get through it, though, and I'll be cheering you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to meet you. I have gone Indie, and I'm not talking about the Jones guy. I've been a member of Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers for 16 years and in critique as long. I've pitched, sent out, held my breath, etc. I only just discovered a few months ago why no one was interested in my epic fantasy. My voice is YA, my characters are not. What a dilemma.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is such a wild ride isn't it??? ANd yanno we have to try with those first stories or we'll never know, right? Best thing I've learned is to keep writing new stories while you wait. You'll know what I mean when you start doing it.

    Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with the querying process, Alexia. I'll have my fingers crossed for you.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete

I love talking with friends new and old! What's on your mind?